Tending to a garden can place a great deal of strain on your knees. Whether you try to hold yourself in a squatting position for the entire time or put one or both knees on the ground for support, your joints must bear a heavy burden that will only get worse the longer you stay out. To help reduce some of the load and alleviate subsequent pain, we recommend using a gardener’s kneeling pad while planting, weeding, trimming, and doing other chores. Here’s how to make a DIY version with some basic materials and a piece of foam from Foam Factory.
- 1/2 yard of durable fabric
- 12 x 18 inch piece of charcoal firm foam or dryfast outdoor foam
- Sewing needle and thread
1. Fold the fabric in half over the cushion so that the patterned sides are facing each other. Be sure the fabric is long enough to cover the cushion with length to spare for stitching the seams.
2. Remove the cushion and sew the seams on the two longer sides of the fabric cover.
3. Turn the cover right side out and slide the foam cushion into place.
4. Sew the ends closed using a slip stitch or top stitch and trim excess fabric if necessary.
For easier storage, try sewing a length of grosgrain ribbon or elastic into a loop at the top of the cushion. This will allow you to hang the kneeling pad from a hook or nail when not in use.
If you enjoy springtime gardening but not the stiff joints and achy knees that typically go along with this pastime, then craft a DIY gardener’s kneeling pad of your own. With just a few spare minutes and some basic supplies, you’ll have a soft yet durable cushion that you can use all summer long!
2 thoughts on “DIY Gardener’s Kneeling Pad”
The foam in the zippered cushions at the Communion rail at Church are worn down and are nearly one third their original thickness. What foam do you recommend for a replacement? Dimensions are 12″ by 64.5″ by 1 3/4″ for the 6 in the church. 15.5″ by 64.5″ by 2″ for the 2 in the Chapel.
We would suggest our Super Lux foam for your application. We can cut that down to size as well for your application. Contact us for pricing.